Definition of Guidance
“Guidance facilitates people throughout their lives to manage their own educational, training, occupational, personal, and social and life choices so that they reach their full potential and contribute to the development of a better society”
National Guidance Forum, 2007
In St Paul’s, we offer a comprehensive guidance service to students from 1st to 6th year including;
* Career/Vocational Counselling
* Educational Counselling
* Personal Counselling
Aim: We offer a full range of interventions and activities, which assist pupils to make choices about their lives. For second level pupils these choices are focused in a developmental way on three key areas:
Objectives: At the end of the school year students will have experienced:
* Guidance in educational and personal learning management.
* Vocational exploration and information.
* Individual and/or Group Counselling will have been available for all students on request and/or on referral.
* Students will have access to information which is appropriate for their personal, educational and vocational development.
* Parents will have met with the School Guidance Counsellors at Information evenings, at organised Guidance Meetings and on request.
* Students’ needs – with regards to the Guidance Counselling Service – will be evaluated, and in partnership with staff and the Principal/ School Management, planning for the future will be ongoing.
The Guidance & Counselling Department provides an “Open Door” policy to students, parents and teachers. All students are informed of the service provided at the beginning of each year and are encouraged to avail of it. They can request an appointment by filling out an appointment card that can be found outside the Guidance Counsellor’s Office. Referrals, on behalf of students, can also be made by teachers and parents. All Leaving Certificate students can avail of as many appointments as they need during sixth year.
School Careers Noticeboard All 5/6th years should get into the habit of checking the careers noticeboards opposite Ms Garrett’s room. All information that comes into the school for student’s attention will be placed here.
The Guidance Department: Guidance Counsellor: Ms. Deirdre Garrett